Friday, February 14, 2014

Training Thus Far

Hello again, ladies and gents!  I’d like to formally wish everyone a happy Valentine’s Day (if you’re into celebrating that kind of thing) and apologize for taking so long to update.  I thought I would have time when I came home at night and boy, was I wrong!  Training has been absolutely exhausting.

Also I’ve been having trouble getting blogger to work, but that’s beside the point.

The first day was kinda rough.  I made a lot of mistakes and the amount of information thrown at me was completely overwhelming.  I made notecards with facts about thirty-two different types of animals and was handed a twenty-page “suggested” script – with some parts that I had to memorize exactly and other parts that I could change a little.  Thank goodness my trainer is an angel – otherwise, I probably would’ve had a panic attack!

And since I was feeling really down on myself because of all the mistakes I had made, I went to the grocery store to get the ingredients for shrimp scampi to eat my feelings.  While I was there I decided to pick up some bananas.  There was this sweet old man laying them out, and I reached to take four of the single bananas instead of a bunch of them, and he saw me and started grinning and thanked me for being so kind, because apparently people never take the single bananas.  So of course I started blushing because he said it over and over again, but when I finally detangled myself from him to go get the rest of my groceries, I was smiling, too.  I doubt he realized how much I needed to hear that, and I think it's just a good lesson for all of us to keep in mind: that you never know what someone's day has been like and even something as small as thanking someone for taking single bananas - single bananas, of all things! - might make all the difference in the world to that person.  He really, genuinely brightened my day with something as simple as thanking me.

wow sorry i didn't mean for that to get so sappy back to real life

RIGHT.  Real life.  So, even though I was exhausted by the time I finished my dinner, I went to Downtown Disney with some of my roommates, as our holiday CM discount expired yesterday and we all wanted to get something.  So, I finally gave in and got an adorable Stitch “plush pillow” (a.k.a. a Pillow Pet)!

LOOK AT HOW CUTE HE IS IF YOU THINK YOU'RE NOT JEALOUS YOU'RE LYING TO YOURSELF.

Also somewhere along the way (Saturday, maybe?  I think?) I went to MK with some of my roommates and a friend, where we rode basically everything, got turkey legs for dinner, and even got to meet Ariel! (that last one was against my better judgment but since i didnt want to get into the picture the guy working there made me do it)

but it was cold and rainy so this is the only pic you get

except for this one of all of us with ariel omg she's so pretty it makes me want to cry

Anyway, I know you guys don’t need to know all the gory details, so I’ll give you a brief overview of my training: I’ve made plenty of mistakes and been plenty scared and upset about them, but over time I’ve actually grown more and more professional and more able to help guests.  I spent basically all evening on Tuesday working on my spiel, which paid off – I took an empty round on Wednesday morning before my trainer informed me (at the loading dock!) that I was ready to take guests, and then not thirty seconds later I took my first round!  I was /literally/ almost shaking, I was so nervous, but apparently it went well.  When we got to the unloading dock my trainer told everyone that it was my first time taking guests and they all clapped and several people complimented me and told me they couldn't believe it was my first time giving the safari, which felt really, really great.  That being said, I was so tired when I got home that I literally went to bed right after I had dinner – just thirteen hours after I’d woken up!

Yesterday, I took five loads of guests.  I got plenty of compliments then as well, because I guess most people could tell that I was still training (I have that lovely red “Earning My Ears” banner under my nametag and I had someone sitting in the passenger seat whispering to me every now and again).  On one of the first rounds, this really sweet older woman came up to me and said that she thought I had been great and that this was definitely the right job for me, which made me feel really awesome (again, you never know how greatly saying something kind might change someone's day!).  By the last round, though, at the end of the day, I was struggling.  I hadn’t anticipated how hard it would be to do multiple safaris (I took two in the morning and three in the afternoon), but I was having trouble remembering what facts I’d given and driving well and even docking, which I’ve always been pretty good at!

Apparently we take an average of nine rounds a day, so I guess I have to prepare myself…

Especially since I have two – not one, but TWOeleven hour shifts next week.  One of which is the first day after my assessment.

Because apparently they hate the college program kids and want us all to die slow and painful deaths.

That being said, I can see now why Safaris is considered the best attraction.  It’s literally like being part of one big, awesome family.  If you’re in the cafeteria and you see some other people in Safari costumes, you’re basically obligated to sit with them whether you know them or not – and if you don’t know them, they always want to get to know you a little better and welcome you to the family.  I’ve met so many amazing people and I’m already dreading having to leave some of my awesome coworkers (not to mention my amazing roommates and my other lovely friends!) in August. 

actually im trying really hard not to think about it so no please

The reason you're finally getting an update is because I finally have a day off – two, in fact! – and on Sunday I’ll have my final day of training before I get assessed on Monday.  I’m feeling pretty confident knock on wood so hopefully things will go really well and I’ll be able to make a post about having earned my ears by Monday evening!

Today I’m planning to go to one or two of the parks – I just got my main entrance passes – and to pick up a charm for my necklace. 


Oh?  Didn’t I do a post about it?  jk I know I didn’t I haven’t had time  I’ve decided to buy a charm every week while I’m here that I think sums up/symbolizes my week - kind of corny, I know, but I'm really a sappy person.  Last week, I bought a charm of Cinderella’s Castle, which I feel is kind of synonymous with magic – and my first week was absolutely magical!!!  So today I’ll get a new one and hopefully find the energy to blog about it tonight or tomorrow!

My lovely first charm!

Also thanks mom and dad for these lovely flowers!

Anyway, I hope everyone has had an absolutely amazing, magical week!  

6 comments:

  1. STITCH IS SERIOUSLY THE CUTEST LITTLE BUGGY EVER!!! I am so jelly.... I want one!!! Also, love the charm idea. I expect you will have too many charms to know what to do with by the end of it all. Also, Ariel is so pretty!!! Why is she so gorgeous!! But guess what, EILEEN IS PRETTIER!!!! Loving the picture and all of the updates. Keep them and the pictures coming! I hope your assessment went/is going well. Lots of love! - Your favorite sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALSO I AM TOTES JELLY OF THOSE FLOWERS. DAVID GAVE ME ALREADY WILTED ONES. THEY ARE STILL WONDERFUL THOUGH. David, if you are reading this I really do love them ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol so can we talk about that banana story-ok the one and only thing that would have made it better would for it to not have been bananas. Anything but bananas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. idk what you have against bananas

      they are wonderful

      Delete